Friday, October 23, 2009

I Cann Spel Rel Gud!!




Yesterday, when my 5th grade daughter arrived home from school, as I do everyday, I checked her homework folder. The contents of the folder were two photocopied worksheets: one was math that was introducing the kids to algebraic equations, and the second was a spelling worksheet that gave their words for the week with the task to write the words two-times.

After I write this blog and calm down, I am heading to the school. Which, by the way, is considered a "Choice School". Here in New Jersey, that means that parents from outlying school districts can choose to pay somewhere around $4,000 per pupil to send their kids to an educational facility that is supposed to provide them with a better-than-average learning experience. The artwork shown above is an actual poster shown on the NJ Dept. of Education website and ironically, is the same school my children attend.

In 5th grade, my child's spelling list includes words like "there", "their" and "its", "it's". When I was in 5th grade at Rhawnhurst Elementary, our teachers gave us serious vocabulary words such as "belligerent"and "irate"... and because I was taught these words, I am aware that it's precisely what I am now.

My child's teacher, if this were a country that gave a shit, would be shot for worrying more about running a Talent Show than her students' education. My kid is programming her MacBook and writing movie scripts while you teach her words that my 7-year old knew in first grade. You wonder why our kids are unable to compete with children from around the world when this is kind of garbage they're teaching? That's because you're all a product of the same institutions.

If I wanted a mental slave for a kid, I wouldn't have taught her to read at age 3 and would have waited, like so many parents do, to let teachers do the job, believing that my duties as a parent entail giving my darlings a trendy wardrobe and cute hair.

So, fuck you, America, for the systematic dumbing-down of our youth.

Addendum:

At the same time I was mulling over the vocab words, I was also filling-out an application to audition for a popular show. Here are two pages from the application:



So, how many thousands of people have filled-out this application? If I'm not chosen to go through, they should at least hire me to proofread their documents.













3 comments :

  1. Ha ha! Always love your spit an vinegar. On the other hand, there's a fine line between education and a talent show, or contest. And crossover. Just depends how it's handled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's document is hilarious. It's good Engrish.

    http://engrishfunny.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, Kelly, because the teacher Really Is focusing on a talent show! I think she should worry less about the production and more about the fact that the kids are not being adequately challenged.

    ReplyDelete